Brown lacewing species of which both adults and larvae predate on aphids
What is Micromus-System?
- Brown lacewing Micromus angulatus
- Both larvae and adults are voracious predators of aphids
- Apart from aphids, they can also prey upon other soft bodied arthropods such as mealybugs
What are the benefits of Micromus-System?
- Adults are very robust; they can develop in colder temperatures, they survive at low prey availability and have a long lifespan
- Low rates of cannibalism; prey sharing can occur when aphid pressure is low
- Both the larvae and the adults are great prey detectors
- Female adults can live for up to 70 days and lay up to 1,000 eggs
How does it control pests?
- Both larvae and adults predate on agriculturally important aphid species
- One larva can consume an average of 130 aphids before it enters pupation
- One adult can consume up to 100 aphids per day
- M. angulatus can complete its development in temperatures as low as 10 °C/50 °F
- Micromus-System is compatible with and complementary to existing commercial solutions for aphid control. Combine with parasitoids, hoverflies, Aphidoletes-System or Chrysopa-(E)-System to reduce the number of aphids even more drastically.
240 ml carton cup (100% biodegradable) containing 250 adult lacewings